The Republic Center for Support of Persons with Intellectual Disability – PORAKA is a civil, parents, national disability and non-profit organization representing the rights and interests of more than 20.000 persons with intellectual disability in Republic of Macedonia.
The Republic Center for Support of Persons with intellectual disability – PORAKA has a status of a National Disability Organization (according to The Law for Disability Organizations) and is in the Register of Associations of Citizens in the area of social protection, which is kept in the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy.
PORAKA was established in 1963 and today unites 20 local branches all over Macedonia.
- Provision of legal opportunities ensuring the equal participation and inclusion of persons with intellectual disability in the civil society;
- Provision of alternative community-based services, following the principles of equalization of opportunities for persons with intellectual disability;
- Realization and advancement of the human rights of persons with intellectual disability in civil society.
- Inclusion of persons with intellectual disability in every aspect of life;
- Equalization of opportunities for persons with intellectual disability as equal citizens in the community;
- Provision of family support – appropriate community-based services and support of the families with a member with intellectual disability;
- Respect of self-determination and decision-making for persons with intellectual disability and their families;
- Prevention from institutionalization;
- Improvement of living conditions in the existing institutions;
- De-institutionalization of persons with intellectual disability and their inclusion in alternative community-based service;
- Raising public awareness.
- Initiatives for improving the legal opportunities an policies regarding persons with intellectual disability on national level,
- Coordination and methodological assistance of all local branches of PORAKA;
- Developing a network of alternative community-based services:
- Resource center (counseling and information service);
- Social clubs and counseling services in all local organizations;
- Day centers for adolescents and adults with intellectual disability;
- Initiatives for creation of services for independent living for persons with intellectual disability;
- Communication and exchange of experiences on European and International level.
- NSIOM – National Council of Disability Organisations in Macedonia;
- National Coordinative Body for Equal Rights of Persons with Disabilities in the Republic of Macedonia;
- MPPS – Macedonian Anti-Poverty Platform.
- “Inclusion Europe” – The European Association of Societies of Persons with Intellectual Disability and their Families;
- “Inclusion International” – The International Association of Societies of Persons with Intellectual Disability and their Families;
- “EASPD” – European Association of Service Providers for Persons with Disability.